When speaking of preparation for survival List, we speak actually three different things:
Mental preparation: the practical and technical knowledge, self-knowledge, ability to manage stress, …
Physical preparation: physical fitness, of course, but also acclimatization to hot, cold or altitude, …
Material preparation: tools that will become, in effect, the extension and multiplication of our mental and our physical.
When for one reason or another, we find ourselves having to cope on her own in a critical situation; mental, physical and material can all make a huge difference but that of the three is probably the easiest to obtain and that is, whatever people say, often the less critical is the material preparation.
In fact, most hikers who go for a walk one day in France carry no equipment besides a bottle of water, a picnic and, in the best case, a mobile phone . However, a simple lighter can be enough to make the difference between a relatively comfortable winter night spent by a fire and a night spent shivering with all his might. From these few critical pieces of equipment referred to in this datasheet: these few hundred grams that can make the difference between a survivor … and a morbid drama.
Instead of stupidly make a list, here is rather the elements that enable you to assemble your own survival gear, depending on your needs, your environment and your business. A “survival List kit” is very personal and context-dependent. Each person has different needs, different concerns and capacities …
What must serve a survival List?
Before choosing a tool, we must of course know what we will do. What is the task at hand. The survival List, as the name implies, will help you survive but survive … well … what?
Your kit, your body and put your knowledge together, should ideally help you cover all the basic needs. What I need to be able to drink? How can I keep my core temperature at 37 ° C day and night? etc … Ask yourself these simple questions, find reliable solutions, and whether they require equipment carriage … Take it! Remember also that depending on location, season, or the activities you do, for example, you will find completely different answers to these questions. Your survival List is evolving! You must fit your outlets, your environment, …
To summarize these points, our partner David Manise imagined Rule 3 which consists in saying that one survival List:
– 3 seconds with a stupid decision: it will leave you little chance of survival. There is no hardware to meet this need but we hope you will find in our factsheets enough information to prevent you take this kind of decision.
– 3 minutes without oxygen in our vital centers: efficient breathing, heart beating and blood pumping are all essential elements. How to keep it all running? how to stop bleeding?
– 3 hours without temperature control in extreme climate: how to make fire? make a shelter? What kind of clothes to choose?
– Three days without water: how to purify and store water?
– 3 weeks without food: in survival List in the short term (a few days), eating is not the priority.
The different types of kits
The kits should therefore provide an adequate material response to a wide range of possible situations! Then distinguish several types of kit:
– EDC or everyday carry is the equipment that door in everyday life;
– TCS and Some Day Carry is the equipment that door in a most unusual context: hiking, travel …;
– BOB or Bug Out Bag is the equipment that we side guard to cope with a critical situation, for example to quickly leave home in case of natural disasters (floods, fires, earthquakes, etc …). This is the most voluminous kit as to enable a person or an entire family to hold several days without vital supplies. The website of the Ministry of Interior also stipulates that every citizen should be able to cope with this situation for about three days (corresponding to the maximum length supported by the rescue in such cases)
EDC and CDC may separate into two subcategories:
– The kit which one carries on oneself never to part,
– The kit that one carries in his backpack, in a bag, which is never very far away.
Where then is the difference between a good and a bad survival List?
First, a good survival kit is a kit that carries with itself on the ground. Needless to gather the world’s best equipment in a bag if it is to leave the home because it is too heavy … This requires that your kit is small enough and compact so you can take it anywhere Ideally, it should fit in the pockets of your pants, or almost … and forget! To achieve this, we must find a good compromise between weight, quality and versatility of these tools.
Then a good survival List is a List that assembled itself, according to its specific needs, environment …
A good survival kit contains good elements, robust, efficient, and sustainable. Some excellent pieces of equipment are expensive, others can be inexpensive. The price of the equipment is not a guarantee of quality but sometimes a price.
A good survival List is a List which is self-tested in the field. The reality on the ground is always more complex and more twisted than can imagine the engineers, designers and other inventors. In addition to ensuring that the equipment is working by testing its equipment, it also trains to use it, which is absolutely essential.
A good survival kit finally contains elements simple and easy to use. In emergency situations, the common people lose about half of its IQ points and most of his fine motor skills. In short, survival situations are very bad times to try to understand how something, or to thoroughly handle small objects (especially in the dark with cold fingers, shuddering) … When you have a choice how between two pieces of equipment, so realistically choose the simplest, most effective.
Proposed usually embedded objects List
Without wanting to impose a “standard equipment” worn either around the neck or around the waist, or in pockets in the backpack … the synthesis below is content to collect the fruit of thoughts many followers of survival. The equipment is gathered by topics, relying on Rule 3 stated above.
Three minutes without oxygen in our vital centers
All equipment will ensure the body a normal operation. Mainly be found in this section the medical first aid equipment.
– Compress (5cm x 5cm)
– Dressings (6×2, 12×7, 1×4, 3×7.5 …)
– Compression bandage and / or hemostatic pad
– Sanitary towel (can be used to make pressure dressings in heavy
– Steristrips 3mm x 75mm (adhesive sutures)
– Disinfectant wipes, alcoholic compresses, antiseptic unidose
– Physiological Serum (also used to mineralize distilled water or snow and ice
– Drugs preferably orodispersible: Coalgan, Merocel, Zyrtec, Smecta, Disprile,
Lactéol, Paracetamol, Immosel, Aspirin, Ventolin, Cortisone, Ixprim, Iibuprofène,
Arnica (bring a checklist with the prescribed doses)
– Ticks Tongs
– Mask mouth-to-mouth
– Antibacterial Gel (very good fire starter)
– Marseille Soap, small hotel soap (detergent action but not antispetique exist.
– Kleenex (make a dressing, blow your nose …)
– Toilet paper (make a dressing, blow nose, intimate hygiene …)
– Anti-Adhesive bulbs
– Bandana, cheche (pressure bandage, sling for a broken arm)
Three hours without temperature control in extreme climate
The goal of the material listed here is to maintain a body temperature “normal”, always with the aim of enabling the corp optimal operation.
– Cover light survival and / or thick (reflection of solar radiation and IR at
use with tealight position cf survival)
– Poncho K-Way
– Large size garbage bags (heavy garden, 100 L) (can be used as a sleeping bag
fortune once filled with leaves, poncho, pillow …)
– Hat, balaclava, woolen neck plastron (40% of heat exchange with the body
the environment are made in the neck and head)
– Gloves (disposable latex fine leather, thick leather site), mittens
To warm (make fire)
– Firesteel (to light a fire in any weather)
– BIC Lighter, Butane, magnesium, piezo, storm (ineffective if wet or fingers
– Matches + scraper (pasted into the scraper, the waterproof, protected …)
– Magnesium block (practice making magnesium turnings)
– Stick BBQ fire lighter oil, sealed with tape (very little but ecological
– Cotton Vaseline (as our straws firelighters)
– Wood fat (saturated piece of dead pine resin, turpentine feeling, present in
heart of the old pine stumps)
– Natural Amadous (birch bark, tinder fungus, carbonized cotton …)
– Folding stove with pellets
– Candle heats flat (hold a flame, lighting, fuel for waxing
better fire, warm under a poncho)
– Slow burning candle survival List
– Birthday candles “magic” (come on again all alone in windy)
Three days without water
The human body is mostly water and it needs a steady supply. The equipment listed below should allow the purification and storage of this vital element.
– Gourde (prefer a wide-mouth Nalgene Wide-Mouth style)
– Metal container that will contain and boil water.
– Pocket water (watch the interview)
– Compressed towel (pick dew on plants, cover the head and neck)
– Condoms (may contain a lot of water but impractical to fill; train before
at least once! It can be placed in a sock to protect the once full)
– Gaze (this filter is of course also in case of injury)
– Bandana prewashed, piece of cloth, cloth handkerchief (filter, collect the dew on the
plants, but also serve as a compression bandage)
– Tip of clear plastic tube (communicating vessels, filter holder)
– Coffee filters, filter paper
– Periodic Buffer (filter)
– Bacterial sterilization tablets water (Micropur, only works properly
therefore filtered on a clear water)
Three weeks without food
In the short term (a few days), eating is clearly not a priority, but the following items will help maintain morale better able to respond to emergencies of the moment.
– Salt (in a sealed tube, the most important to mineralize water)
– Dried fruits, Chocolate, Sugar, Cereal Bars (Energy)
– Coffee, Tea (give flavor to hot water)
– Bouillon / Maggi cube in a Kinder egg or a small box (preferably waterproof)
– Rice (small pouch or film box)
– Miso Soup thus sealed foil pouch
– Tablet chewing gum
And finally, various elements that will bring more to provide tougher … but the kit.
What link, paste, assemble
– Super-glue glue (paste objects to a wound or if nothing else)
– Scotch tape or fabric / canvas, orange
– Duct tape wide, narrow canvas → The adhesive that is torn on the side and glue strong
– Tube (good fuel)
– Nylon Cord
– Sewing Cordonnet
– Wire, brass
– Dental floss
– Fishing line
– Sewing thread
– Sisal twine (good firelighters)
– Mountaineering Cord diameter 3 normed
– Mason Cordeau
– Cotton Cord
– Sewing needles (strong, sterile …)
– Sewing kit
– Pin to nurse (single, security …)
– Fishing Kit (assorted hooks, line Leads assorted Swivels Assorted)
– Multifunction pliers (Leatherman multitool, for example)
– Whetstone, diamond stone double sided
– 320 Sandpaper, emery cloth
– Carabiner (mini, with ferrule …)
– Stainless spoon
– Folding Knives
– Leatherman multitool
– Various and varied knives (stainless steels favor of good quality)
– Scalpel blade (for ultra-light kits)
– Breakable cutter blade 10 cm
– Chain saw (chainsaw chain kind with handles)
– Saw wire (very limited space efficiency but minimum)
– Saw Metal Piece
– Lamp (Fenix, Maglite, …)
– Spare batteries for his flashlight
– Light Poles (reliable source of light, durable, practical and safe)
– Fourth, Mug titanium (aluminum is light but it burns the lips, stainless steel is good but
heavy, titanium is the top)
– Ziploc (warning models with zip slide are not all waterproof)
– Aluminum container folded of 500 ml of capacity
– Aluminium foil (modeling for container but in a very relative effectiveness)
What signal its presence
– Signalling mirror
– Reflective strips (Reflexite)
– Mini distress signals guide (which you can download on our
website under Tips)
– A lamp for light signals
– Rocket distress
– Anything that can emit or reflect a discernible by a wave of our organs
– Mini thermometer
– Compass (Mini Silva …)
– Compass watch altimeter (solar recharge if possible)
– Pocket watch a → needles can move
– Checklist / Plug for survival instructions
– Pencils (mini IKEA, red pen, blue pen, marker wholesale, indelible
– Paper (10 * 15 small notebook enhances the tape, index cards, sheets …
– USB key (with your identification documents, medical records, scanned …)
– Blood group card + ID card
– Bank card replacement
– Emergency numbers (see our fact sheets)
– Tape measure
– Subway Tickets
– 7×18 Monocular
– Spare Pair of glasses (especially if one is handicapped without his glasses)
Examples of kits
The medium kit “bag bottom”
a fire-starter (cotton straw egg or vaseline)
a portion of hacksaw,
a folding knife (possibly a fixed blade knife camp)
a saw wire (reduced efficacy but better than nothing)
a sewing kit: safety pins, thread, a few buttons, needles, small scissors …
a fishing kit: wire, swivels, bottom line, and hooks of various sizes …
a medical kit: compresses, compression bandage, classic dressings, adhesive suture, alcohol wipes, antiseptic and physiological serum pod, some tablets like the immodium, paracetamol, ticks clips …
a small LED lamp,
one or two light sticks Cyalume
a small sharpening stone,
SuperGlue like a glue tube,
salt and sugar,
few meters of string and rope,
some cutter blade or scalpel,
tape-type ultra-resistant DuctTape,
a survival blanket,
a tampon (such as fuel, dressings …)
water treatment tablets Micropure lyophilized and drinks (tea, coffee, soup)
Ziplock plastic bags types,
one or two condoms,
a notepad water resistant,
the clip speed clamps,
a metal container if possible waterproof,
a bandana 100% cotton (to protect the head, to filter water, make a sling for a broken arm, …)
sheets with practical information on survival (light a fire, make a shelter, …)
some tea bags, some bouillon cubes,
The kit “Small box of survival”
About the size of a small box with metal cigarettes for example. First, by polishing the inside of the lid, you can get a mirror, then by closing with adhesive tape, you can make it waterproof. Also note on the cover the expiry date of certain items (some items need to be changed regularly).
Fil & needles
Online & hooks (preferably small)
Mini glow stick
Snare wire (copper): 60-90 cm
Small medical need
Some razor blade or scalpel blades
Some Micropur tablets to purify water
A small pencil
Sheets of survival List instructions